2. Import your personal HIV medication from your home country

While you’re in Australia, you can arrange to have your own HIV medication to be posted to you from your home country under Australia’s Personal Importation Scheme. This involves arranging for a medicine to be sent to you from an overseas supplier or family/friend and allows for three months of medication at a time.

You will need a letter as well as a prescription from the prescribing doctor in your home country. The letter will need to state the medication is for a medical condition. You might be asked to produce both the letter and prescription to pick up the parcel.

Positive Life is available to offer information and support to ALL people living with HIV in NSW, whether you are Medicare eligible or not. We offer safe, free and confidential support.

If you need support in this process you can call a Positive Life Treatment Officer on 1800 245 677 (freecall) or (02) 9206-2177.